I strive to traverse the ever-changing GST landscape to distil the most complex combinations of tax technical and business matters into clear, concise and implementable solutions based on technical rigour and commercial understanding.
Partner – Indirect Tax
Leaning on his diverse experience across 25 plus years of practice in legal and Big4 firms, both in Australia and Dubai, Rhys is exceptionally well placed to provide deep value to a diverse range of clients. He has broad industry exposures and brings his expertise, knowledge and judgement to face of any challenge.
Rhys’ wealth of GST technical and legal knowledge coupled with his compliance and governance skills mean he is now a recognised GST thought leader in Australia. Rhys combines his deep commercial acumen and professional judgement to deliver strategic, but practical and implementable solutions for clients.
As an active member of the Property Council’s GST subcommittee and the Retirement Living Council’s Tax committee for many years, and having been involved in many Government and ATO consultations, Rhys has extensive knowledge of GST policy and other matters.
Over a long period, Rhys has advised on a wide range of matters including:
- Property development and construction, with an emphasis on broad acre residential developments encompassing such GST issues as application of the margin scheme and social and affordable housing as well as retirement living and aged care.
- Infrastructure and large-scale construction projects, including various PPP projects (acting variously for Government, Proponents and Financiers) and a significant number of renewable energy projects.
- Financial services including retail, commercial and institutional banking, funds and asset management and asset finance.
- M&A, including due diligence, structuring, equity raising and financing.
- GST compliance, including the use of advanced technology.
- ATO dealings including audits, assurance reviews, rulings and disputes.
- Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Law – University of Tasmania
- Master of Law – University of Melbourne