Energy and Resources is a sector I’m most passionate about – with a long history and periods of significant growth, followed by the occasional global retraction. To navigate the challenging environment my clients operate in, I advise them at all stages of the energy and mining life cycle to help them meet the constantly changing regulatory environment and minimise risk exposure areas.
Partner & Head of Audit - Perth
Brent joined Grant Thornton as Audit partner in April 2020. Prior to this, he spent over 30 years working at KPMG providing audit and assurance services to a range of public listed and private companies with both international and domestic operations. His deep experience of the energy and resources sector enables him to add value to client’s decision making, determination of transaction and project value, unseen opportunities, and risk management.
Brent has extensive experience focused on the Energy and Natural Resources sector. He has provided professional services to companies operating in the mining, oil and gas, electricity, and renewables industries including exploration development, production and service companies.
Brent has worked and lived in Calgary, Adelaide and Perth and has direct professional experience in providing advice to clients in 25 countries across all continents. He has extensive understanding of different countries’ economics, regulatory requirements, sovereign risks, opportunities, and culture.
Brent is heavily involved with associations, including the Australian Petroleum Production and Exploration Association and Association of Mining and Exploration Companies, by providing industry training, presentations, and advice to them.
- Advising clients on acquisition and sales transactions including value determination, financing, due diligence and reporting obligations.
- Helping companies be on the front foot with the latest developments in financial reporting and accounting standards, industry practice, and regulatory requirements.
- Raising equity in capital markets include initial public offerings in Australia (ASX), USA (NYSE and Nasdaq) and London (AIM).
- Identification and management of risks and exposure areas.
- Guiding mining companies in their transition from exploration to production, helping them navigate accounting and financing challenges throughout the mining lifecycle.
- Chartered Accountant – Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Bachelor of Commerce – University of Calgary
- Member of Institute of Company Directors