While the significance of employment tax obligations can occasionally be overshadowed, the recent rise in ATO and State Revenue reviews underscores their critical nature. Ensuring clients meet their obligations is imperative, especially when penalties can far exceed the underpaid tax amount. I believe that building close relationships with my clients is essential to truly understanding their distinct business goals and needs. My ultimate goal is to cultivate unwavering trust, allowing them to focus wholeheartedly on their core business.
Director – Specialist Tax
Drawing from over 15 years of experience in both public practice and commerce, Leanne understands the impact of providing advice and assistance on various employment tax matters. She helps clients tailor tax-effective remuneration packages and ensures robust policies and procedures are established and maintained. This not only attracts top talent but also retains their most valued assets.
Throughout her career, Leanne has worked with a wide array of Australian and international entities, including both publicly listed and private entities, not-for-profits and government departments. She's particularly versed in sectors such as mining, health & aged care, software and education.
Leanne's engagements extend beyond just meeting Australian employment tax obligations. They frequently include employment 'health checks'. This entails assessing internal processes and policies, reviewing superannuation calculations, evaluating payroll tax for contractors, providing FBT advice, devising tax-effective remuneration structures for client employees and training their staff on compliance procedures.
- Review of a large not-for-profit’s FBT processes and procedures, which identified incorrect FBT treatment for several benefits, includes provision of the FBT Review Report, suggested changes to Policy documents and advice outlining the various options available for the use of a car for work-related purposes by employees
- Advice in relation to the FBT implications of the provision of travel, accommodation and remote area benefits, together with salary packaging examples for each, including subsequent consultation and guidance with key stakeholders
- Assistance and advice in relation to the establishment of an international construction company’s subsidiary in Australia highlighting their Australian employment tax obligations and compliance requirements (PAYG, super, payroll tax, STP and FBT), together with the residential status of expatriate employees
- Undertook an employment tax health check for a large entity, together with an analysis of paycodes and payroll data to assess whether superannuation and PAYG was calculated and paid correctly, and in time, as well as identified and communicated incorrect superannuation treatment of several paycodes, calculation of superannuation guarantee charges, preparation and lodgement of shortfall disclosures with the ATO and assist with employee communications
- Due diligence projects during the acquisition and sale of entities
- Representation at employment tax audits by the Australian Tax Office and State Revenue Offices
- Bachelor of Business (Accounting)
- Member of Chartered Accountants Australia & New Zealand (CAANZ)
- Member of the Tax Institute of Australia