The financial services sector is one of Australia’s most important industries, providing jobs and managing our wealth. I’m passionate about ensuring financial services institutions look beyond the financials and compliance to drive good conduct, properly manage their risks, implement increasingly sustainable practices and help these businesses articulate that they truly live and breathe their values.
Partner - Audit & Assurance
National Head of Financial Services
Darren is Grant Thornton's National Head of Financial Services, overseeing the delivery of financial service industry advice, including internal and external audit, tax and consulting. With a background in internal and external audit, he is a specialist advisor on financial services institutions, focused on audit and risk advice across Australia and the UK.
Darren joined Grant Thornton as a Partner in July 2018. He has been an Audit Partner for over 20 years, and has over 30 years’ experience with Grant Thornton and KPMG as an auditor and risk advisor. He retired from KPMG in March 2018. Darren is a specialist in broking, banking, insurance, superannuation, property and funds management industries.
Darren meets the APRA Fit and Proper auditor requirements for ADIs, insurers and superannuation entities.
He is also a specialist in ESG and Integrated Reporting. As a past President of Chartered Accountants in Australia and New Zealand, he has a passion for integrated reporting and thinking, and the need to support accountants and clients in this regard. Darren is the Chair of the Deakin University Accounting Department Advisory Board and Chair of the Business Reporting Leaders Forum Significant Issues Group for Integrated Reporting for SMEs.
- Banking and NBFI internal and external reporting, including major banks, local and international, finance entities, regional banks and credit unions (ANZ, NAB, BUPA, PNL, TMBL, Deutsche Bank (UK))
- General, life and health insurance audits including IAG, CGU, BUPA, GMHBA and Latrobe Health
- Superannuation audits including MyLife MySuper, VISSF, Mercer, ANZ Super
- The lead internal audit partner for IFM, Dnister and Regional Australia Bank, and the engagement internal audit partner for three years for WorkCover and TAC (2010 – 2012).
- Reviews of compliance with numerous legislative and regulatory requirements governing banking and general Insurance, including, APRA Prudential Standards, Insurance Contracts Act, Financial Services Reform Act, and Codes of Conduct
- Past President (2016) and Fellow of CAANZ
- Member Association of Chartered Certified Accountants
- Graduate of the Institute of Company Directors
- Bachelor of Economics
- Senior Associate FINSIA
- Williamson Fellow