Director – Forensic Consulting
Tom has spent his entire career working in the Forensic Accounting field, starting in a prominent forensic accounting firm in Adelaide, where he worked for over six years before commencing with Grant Thornton in March 2017. Tom was promoted to Director in July 2021.
Tom has considerable experience of family law valuations in South Australian, Victorian and Western Australian jurisdictions in addition to experience in large commercial litigation, compulsory acquisition and audit negligence matters and the assessment of personal injury claims for both applicants and defendants.
Tom's key practice areas include:
- Business valuations for Family Law purposes
- Business valuations for commercial proceedings, including shareholder oppression and compulsory acquisition
- Business valuations for non-litigation purposes
- Business valuations of supermarkets and other small businesses on behalf of a Big 4 bank for security lending purposes
- Forensic accounting & business valuations matters in the agriculture sector
- Quantification of lost profits in compulsory acquisitions and breach of contract disputes
- Quantification of loss in commercial disputes incusing shareholder oppression and shareholder transaction disputes
- Quantification of loss in personal injury disputes
- He is also active in the Agriculture, Food & Beverage industry.
Some of Tom’s key matters in which he had been the project lead include:
- Valuation of a large family farming group for Family Law proceedings involving a complex structure of over 25 entities ~ group value circa $50 million
- Valuation of a large family group for Family Law proceedings involving a corrugated cardboard manufacturer ~ group value circa $100 million
- Valuation of a large family group for Family Law proceedings involving a complex structure of over 75 entities across Australia, the USA, Thailand, Hong Kong, Columbia and the Netherlands ~ group value circa $40 million
- Quantification of lost profits suffered by market gardeners as a result of the compulsory acquisition of farm land for the Northern Expressway Project in South Australia
- Assessment of loss for a ASX listed aquaculture company resulting from defective feed ~ loss claim circa $45 million
- Fraud investigation of the financial controller within the travel industry ~ $1.4 million
- Forensic investigation into a large Victorian dairy group.
- Member, Institute of Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CAANZ)
- Accredited Business Valuation Specialist (CAANZ)
- Accredited Forensic Accounting Specialist (CAANZ)