There has been significant media attention over the last few days regarding the recent release of the Federal Government’s White Paper on Developing Northern Australia (the latter being defined as all of Northern Territory and those parts of Western Australia and Queensland above the Tropic of Capricorn). Prime Minister Mr Tony Abbott launched the White Paper in Cairns, Queensland on 19 June 2015, and emphasised six areas of focus for development in Northern Australia over the next 20 years.
Our summary covers the following of the White Paper on Developing Northern Australia covers the following:
- Simpler land tenure arrangements to support investment
- Developing water resources
- Growing Northern Australia as a business, trade and investment gateway
- Investing in infrastructure to lower business and household costs
- Reducing employment barriers
- Improving governance
- The Great North; Genuine opportunities for agribusiness investment?