Partner & Head of Tax - Sydney
Michael has over 15 years’ experience in advising on taxation matters in both Australia and the UK. He has experience in advising on both corporate income tax and GST. Prior to joining Grant Thornton, Michael worked for a Big 4 accounting firm and has previously practised as a barrister.
Michael has extensive experience in providing advice on complex cross-border and merger and acquisition issues to some of Australia’s largest companies. He has also advised large groups on all aspects of corporate taxation, with a particular focus on tax consolidation and tax loss issues. Michael has been involved in liaising with the Australian Taxation Office on behalf of clients on a range of tax investigations and audits, including preparing private ruling applications and negotiating settlements.
- tax consolidation
- tax losses
- mergers and acquisitions
- cross-border transactions
- tax issues affecting the technology sector
- GST issues facing retirement villages
- Master of Arts (Law), Oxford University
- Associate member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia and of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales
- Member of the Tax Institute
- Barrister of the Supreme Court of England and Wales
- Registered Tax Agent