Partner - State Taxes
National Specialist Tax
With over 18 years’ experience, Steve supports clients to navigate the ever changing state tax revenue landscape in Australia. This includes stamp duty, as well as land tax and foreign surcharges.
Steve supports clients across a number of industries, most notably mergers and acquisitions (small, midmarket and large), renewable energy, transport and real estate.
Steve has worked with a number of clients on major Australian transactions, which gained meaningful working knowledge of some of the most unique and complex business and transaction structures.
Steve has also published a number of bulletins and publications on the changes, interpretation and practice of state tax legislation, and been called upon to provide expert comments in the Australian Financial Review. Most recently Steven presented a paper on stamp duty implications arising from renewable energy projects in Australia at the Tax Institute's 2018 State Taxes Conference.
Steve supports clients across all industries, including, retail, development, real estate and construction, major projects, financing and infrastructure.
Examples of Steve’s advice includes:
- Stamp duty implications for all phases of the development, construction and operation of renewable energy projects across all States and Territories
- Structuring and obtaining stamp duty exemptions for corporate reconstructions both domestically and internationally
- Obtaining exemptions for land tax surcharges
- Queensland Law Society Revenue Committee
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales
- Admitted to Supreme Court of Queensland and the High Court of Australia