Organisations could be at risk of money-laundering and terrorism-financing without even knowing it.
Money laundering (ML) is the processing of criminal profits to disguise their illegal origin. Terrorism Financing (TF) includes the financing of terrorist acts or any kind of terrorist organisation. This can occur within not just regulated industries, but in all different types of businesses.
ML/TF has been in the spotlight with some high-profile breaches and significant regulatory action exposing businesses to substantial financial penalties and reputational damage. Australia has commenced the largest Anti-Money Laundering (AML) reform since 2006, to align Australia’s AML regime with standards recommended by the Financial Action Task Force (FATF). The reforms could have far-reaching implications for existing reporting entities as well as real estate, legal and accounting professions.
To find out more visit our AML Reform Hub.
Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act in Australia
Australia has a strong regime in place to fight these two forms of financial crime. Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre (AUSTRAC) regulates Australia’s Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act 2006.
AUSTRAC has widened its focus on who is affected by Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Terrorism Financing laws. Also, they have changed how frequently you must review your policies and programs (every two years) and by who (independent reviewer).
Regulated entities (that is, Reporting Entities) must have an Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing (AML/CTF) Program specifying how they comply with AML/CTF legislation. These programs are vital in identifying, disrupting and preventing money laundering and terrorism financing. This protects your business or organisation, your community and Australia from criminal activity.
How we help
Our Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing practice provides tailored AML/CTF risk management and compliance services to assist organisations in complying with the AML/CTF Rules.
Our dedicated AML/CTF team has extensive experience working with clients across a variety of industries, including financial services, gaming and retail. We take a practical approach to ML/TF risk assessments to ensure organisations are able to sufficiently address and manage higher risk areas of the business.
We frequently engage with thought leaders in the regulatory space, provide the latest best practice, and stay up-to-date on emerging regulatory guidance. We regularly meet with AUSTRAC to discuss emerging risks and we are an active participant in their AML/CTF advisor program.
We leverage Grant Thornton’s AML/CTF tools, accelerators and leading industry practices to provide you with the most effective and efficient outcomes. We provide the following services:
- Independent Review and testing of Part A & B of an AML/CTF Program
- ML/TF Risk Assessment review and control testing
- Compliance testing against the AML/CTF Act & Rules
- Advise of systems and controls to manage ML/TF risk
- Scenario and rules set review and testing
- Transaction monitoring alert investigations
- Transaction rules validation and configuration
- Customer risk rating methodology design
- Customer onboarding and KYC remediation
- Customer screening processes in line with the AML/CTF Act & Rules
- Design and implement an AML/CTF Program
- Design and implement an ML/TF Risk Assessment
- Provide 2nd and 3rd line of defence guidance as a co-source
- AML/CTF training program assessment – including evaluation of training content, and effectiveness of training coverage across your organisation
- Delivery of tailored AML/CTF risk awareness training to ensure your employees understand how to identify, prevent, mitigate and report money laundering and terrorism financing
Subscribe to receive our publications
Subscribe now to be kept up-to-date with timely and relevant insights, unique to the nature of your business, your areas of interest and the industry in which you operate.